Some tips for using nematodes to get rid of fungus gnats
When you order nematodes for fungus gnats from us you will receive Fruit & Veg nematodes, a special blend of nematodes that deal with many types of root fly, amongst other pests. These have been proven to be the most effective against gnats.
You will need to follow the instructions for Sciarid Fly (the proper name for fungus gnats).
Here are some tips for applying them.
- When they arrive pop them in the fridge until you are ready to use them.
- On the day you intend to use them get them out and allow them to warm up to room temperature.
- Do the same with the water you will use, very cold water will slow them down.
- If you have the full 60 sqm to cover then follow the instructions on the inside of the cardboard sleeve.
- If you are just treating a few plants/trays then mix the nematodes with the amount of water you will need to water the plants/trays.
- You want the soil to be damp, too much water will wash the nematodes straight through. Too little water and the nematodes will perish. As a guide imagine you were to squeeze the pot after application, 1 or 2 drops of water should come out.
- You can't overdose plants with nematodes.
- The nematodes we sell are not harmful to anything other than the pests listed so they are safe around pets and humans!
- With these nematodes you are affecting the larvae of the flies, you will need to control the adults for the treatment to be really effective, we recommend yellow sticky traps.
- Depending on the lifestage of the gnats you may need to do a second treatment around 2 weeks later, this is because there may be eggs in the soil that the nematodes will not have any effect on.
Here's a link to a great deal on the products mentioned above - click here
If you have any other questions just get in touch via the Contact Us page