We offer an effective nematode treatment to get rid of ants in your garden.
Sold in 2 sizes, all our prices include P&P. Orders placed by 10am Monday will be despatched later in the week.
Ants do not normally eat live green plants directly, but they can be a bit of a nuisance.
Most people who are looking to drive ants from the garden are bothered by anthills in the lawn or in walls or crevices. Their constant nest-building and burrowing can damage plant roots and leave messy spoils of earth.
Ants are also a problem when they 'farm' aphids populations. Ants like to follow aphids around because they can use the sugary sap that the aphids leave behind when feeding on plants. Ants are believed to "help" and "farm" populations of aphids and to defend them against predators. So if you see ants on your plants, you may be better treating for aphids rather than ants.
Nematodes to deter Ants
We offer a pack of nematodes which will deter ants. Unlike some of our other nematode treatments this does not kill the ants, it just drives them out of their nests and makes them go elsewhere. We have a standard pack suitable for about 16 nests, and a larger pack for about 50 nests.
Nematodes can be used indoors or outdoors, and are active when temperatures are above 5°C. The optimum soil temperature is about 10°C. They remain in sufficient concentration to give good effectiveness for about 6 weeks or more.
Instructions for use
- Dissolve the entire contents of the pack in a bucket of water to create a stock solution. See pack for how much water
- Stir vigorously and immediately take 0.5 litre of the stock solution, add to a 5 litre watering can fitted with a very coarse rose and fill with water.
- Apply the solution to one nest.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 until all nests are treated.
- Water the treated nests after application.
If treating less nests than the pack can treat, divide the stock solution equally between nests.